Discuss new features

Topics: Developer Forum
Coordinator
Jun 13, 2006 at 12:21 PM
For the next version of Package Explorer, the following items are being considered:

1. Search through packages
2. Extract files from a package
3. Replace files inside a package
4. Recognize specific types of packages and attach actions to a specific package type
5. Open multiple packages

If you have features you'd like to see implemented, post it as a reply here.

Thx, Wouter
Jun 28, 2006 at 6:54 PM
Sign me up. I've been doing a lot of Office 12 Open XML work as of late and though I like package explorer I really desire the feature set potentially destined for the next release. Being able to extract, edit and replace the xml content would be of great value!!

I'm so tired of addind .zipm, extracting, editing, and rezipping. I was going to build my own tool but thought it ideally belonged in Open XML Package Explorer.

I'd like to join up!

Thanks,
Michael
Dec 10, 2006 at 11:10 PM
Hi Wouter,

thanks for the great tool. I just discovered it from a link in Doug Mahugh's blog.

Also tired from unzipping, editing and re-zipping, this is the tool that will make my work with Open XML a lot easier.

I have a (small) suggestion concerning usability:

The document inspector could (optionally) show the path of the file inside the archive. Thus files with identical names (e.g. inside an Excel document "xl\chartsheets\Sheet1.xml" and "xl\worksheets\Sheet1.xml" get both displayed as "Sheet1.xml" on the same level) could be better distinguished.
Dec 11, 2006 at 11:48 AM
Hi,

another wish: Would it be possible to have the file to open be specified on the command line? Then PackageExplorer could be integrated into the context menu of Word/Office documents easily.

Dirk
Coordinator
Dec 11, 2006 at 5:44 PM
Hi guys,

thanks for your feedback. Sorry my reply took so long (mruminer), I don't receive a notification email when new posts have been added.

I'll implement the requested features this week somewhere.

Thanks!
Coordinator
Dec 11, 2006 at 5:50 PM
Dirk, one issue around opening Package Explorer from inside Office, is that Office locks the files it has open so the Package Explorer can't read the files. I can implement this feature using 1 line of code somewhere, but your scenario will not work I am afraid.

Regarding the Document Inspector. I agree on that something needs to change there to improve usability. However, showing full paths will severely affect the size of the Document Inspector control. I am trying to think of a solution which does improve the usability, but does not affect the display to much.

Wouter
Dec 13, 2006 at 2:27 PM
Sorry, I think I was unclear with the context menu stuff...

What I meant is the context menu of Windows Explorer, e.g. with a right-click on a Word document you could then open it using Open with... / Package Explorer.

Inside Word this functionality would be a bit too tricky considering all the cases (document not saved, locked documents etc) and I think it is not needed there.

Concerning the document inspector: Well, it is not that important, just "nice to have"

Thanks for your work. If you need any more help in developing/testing/... let me know.

/Dirk
May 14, 2007 at 8:30 PM
CTRL+TAB to switch between open xml files

CTRL+F to search

Document Inspector should be open as default (or option to do so)

thx for a very nice util :-)

AndersR
May 15, 2007 at 2:47 PM
Also a full path in menubar to the opened xml document, so you can see what package the file belongs to.

This would be nice since you often open alot of documents from different packages with the same name...

AndersR
Jun 10, 2007 at 3:53 PM
I second the CTRL+F/find suggestion. There should be find, replace, and replace all within individual parts in a package.
Also, a few checkboxes to narrow the scope would be nice, e.g. to search blue/brown/red/black text only.
Nov 12, 2007 at 12:49 PM
Hi Wouter!
One thing that would really make my day much easier, is the ability to rename files in the customXML folder.

The reason for this request is the lacking support for a Table Content Control. I've yet only encountered one "best practise" on this; Microsoft's OpenXML Workshop using a bookmark to identify a table for merging. Works fine for just one table, but when a document contains many bookmarks and many tables (some tables to be merged, others not) things become complicated. My strategy for this is to use bookmarks as in the workshop. If a table is found at the bookmark, check if the doument has a corresponding xml file in the customXML folder. (where name of bookmark equals name of the xml file).
If anyone has other strategies or approaches to this problem, please share your thoughts.

Thank you Wouter for your efforts. Your sessions at TechEd Barcelona were truely excellent :-)